Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Flu.....at the Farm (using essential oils)

     There is nothing worse than sick kids. Everything seems to just stop. So it goes at Little M right now. Taylor and Blaine are so down for the count. Lets just say it has been days of 101-103` fevers with chills, body ache, the whole tamale. Well not so much the tamale, because I can hardly get them to eat. My hands are dry from washing them so much I feel like I am back in school at the hospital.
    
     So blog post today, what can be used that does not contain 50 ingredients, 17 dyes and alcohol? There are dye free medications out right now but not nearly enough. Currently, this is not my mountain, I am using otc(over the counter) products for fever and cough. What I want to share is essential oil use. I have been using oils here and there for some time, but not totally realizing there amazing quality.
   
     Lets talk about remedy use. This morning Blaine was so congested that we decided a bath was in order. Bring on the peppermint oil. I had used peppermint oil last year, it seemed by the gallon, when Taylor was ill with SIBO.   I have used Peppermint oil for stomach, congestion, and muscle aches.  When using essential oils you must be very careful. Consult a reliable website for directions of use, since overuse can cause skin burn etc. I drew Blaine's bath with as hot of water as he could tolerate. While filling the tub, with Blaine in it, I added 5 drops of Peppermint oil (remember, NEVER, use more that ten drop of oil, unless it is in a mixture not to be used on skin). Immediately, he said, "mom it smells like Christmas in here", and it did. We let him soak, adding more hot water as needed, for 20 minutes. He said he felt better and his nose could breathe easier. Unfortunately, when using herbal and oil remedies repeating is a must. Now if you want a vapor shower, I found a good recipe for vapor discs on another bloggers site. I am in the process of making them http://beingfrugalbychoice.blogspot.com/2012/03/homemade-vicks-vapor-shower-disks.html.
I love it when other bloggers, share this stuff.   I will have Taylor try these, because she is not much of a bath girl.

     Using a mixture of oils in a vaporizer is another good way to help congestion. Be sure you are using a vaporizer or humidifier that can use oils. Essential oils in the air can help; Respiratory tract problems, Treating throat infections, Relieving mental and physical fatigue, Reducing tension and anxiety ,Calming the nervous system.

     What type of essential oils you use is as important as how you use them. I use Aura Cacia oils. I like the philosophy of the company, and the Well Earth sustainability they choose. There are many companies that make essential oils, just be sure you choose one that does not use synthetics. Well it is time to take temperatures again, see ya soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment