Thursday, January 31, 2013

A whole lotta........Bull

There were a few things I was going to talk about today, but my end of the day just went to the top of my list.  Having a husband who use to ride bulls would make you think that the idea of the site of a bull would be somewhat mundane.  Not this ol' girl!  I love the majestic look of any bull from a distance, tonight however I would have  that up close and personal picture. While tending to my night time chicken routine, the dogs started barking at the back gate.  In general this barking could be due to Patty's goat, Suzie-Q or one of the other dogs next door standing their ground.  As I looked out to see, there was J.D.,that is short for Jack Daniels, the 1200 lbs pound Corriente bull just standing at the gate looking a little disturbed that the dogs were barking at him.  I went back into the coupe after telling the dogs to leave him alone.  About two minutes later they were at it again only louder and with a little more concern in their tone.  Okay, I said as I came out of the coupe only to come face to face with not just the dogs but J.D. who had determined that "he" needed to be on my side of the fence, that was,  after taking out the gate.  Did I say he was a bull?  With a very large rack.....that is horns for you non-rodeo readers.  Shouting, followed by my husband coming from the front only to realize that the bull was on our side of the fence, game on!  From this point on I just seemed to be running from one side of the property to the other while Brian quickly took down the gate and Blaine and I kept an eye on J.D.  At this point all I wanted was not to get run over by the bull because of course if anyone would get hurt it would be me!   What seemed like an hour, but only really 10 minutes, the gate was down.  Waving and hooting, alright, just Blaine and I were waving and hooting, Brian just seemed as calm as if he had done this before.  J.D. finally started back to Greg's, but not without the occasional stop to see if he could ditch out on some side path.  Those cattle dogs we have, they were no where in site, and Jo the best dog, under her chair-hiding, I think they need more exposure!   Well mission accomplished, with a little determination and of course a fearless husband J.D. was back on his side of the fence, without incident.   It made for an exciting ending to my day.  So why blog about it, well sometimes when you homestead, ranch, or farm, you get more than you bargain for not from your livestock, but from your neighbors.  Thanks Greg!  A good subject for the next blog.......how to maintain and select proposer fencing for your livestock.   See ya soon!

1 comment:

  1. Who knew "open kick side to side" was going to help later in life in getting you away from a BULL with a RACK! I am so proud!! Love your Blog Debbie! Tell Brian he is my Hero too!!

    ReplyDelete